Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Ashtanga practice takes 4 hours


I get up at 5am. I prepare a cup of coffee for myself and sip it in front of the PC. My body needs about 30 min till it's present. That is, it's a habit, a tabu, yet to defecate is important. This makes a difference in the practice. It's a sign that one is healthy if one has no issues here.

So at 5:30 I'm under the shower. It's a quick shower, my hair gets washed later during the day. I brush my teeth, I dress, there is time for a little kiss for my E and about 10 to 6am I leave the cosy home. At 6:02 am I sit in the subway. The shala is 4 stations away. Between 6:30 and 6:45 I'm on the mat. I don't hurry, I need time to change clothes.

I practice till kapotasana. During class I don't dawdle. Usually my practice is focused. I need more time for all the back bending asanas.

After 9 am I'm at home again. Then I prepare healthy breakfast for myself. I like to blog. And sometimes I rest. MSch challenges me re back bending. He pushes me beyond my limits. I wouldn't be able to do all the repetitions alone.

What I can do to support my goals to improve in all the back bending asanas, that is to visualize how I do them successfully. Arnold Schwarzenegger was very successful with this method. He gained muscle mass, he lost it, he gained it again. To visualize himself helped him. I recommend his autobiography.

It is possible to have a 9 to 5 job, yet then this is it. I had years where I practiced in the morning before getting to work. It were lousy practices, where I was alone on the mat and simply tried to keep the status quo. Often I stared holes in the air while being in one of the positions.

4 hours - and every minute is worth it. 

My photography page on Facebook
My yoga page on Facebook

2 comments:

Debb said...

There is something definitely empowering about practicing in the presence of others - the energy that practice emits and gains can't be duplicated alone at home. I am living proof. I need to get back in a class. As usual, trying to find balance in life with work, family (new grandson I adore and watch a couple of times a week) and my own spiritual quest (at 60 - never too late).. Your posts always bring something special to me.. I'm sure you have made sacrifices to attain this 4 hour schedule... I honor that in you, dear U...

Ursula Preiss said...

Thank you very much, Debb. I'm glad that you're still visiting my blog after so many years. :) :)

It's a very good idea to go to a class. It helps indeed. And it's nice to be connected with other yoginis.

Feel good, dear Debb.