Sunday, August 17, 2014

Dhanurasana


I could unpack another box and I found a gem, one of my first yoga books by André van Lysbeth 'Yoga'.

Dhanurasana is one of the 9 asanas that I practiced about 30 years ago. It's part of the Rishikesh series.

I reread:

1. The toes shall always touch. It has a reason. If they don't touch the legs are usually at different high as most spines are not 100% symmetric. In Ashtanga classes I'm told that also the heels have to touch. Now I know why.

2. The legs do the work and pull upwards. The upper body is relaxed. The arms are straight.

3. Finally the knees shall be higher than the skin.

4. A dynamic phase exists in the Rishikesh series. Up to 14 times one shall swing forward and backward. This gives indeed a good massage for the inner organs. There is also a static phase where the pose is held for half a minute, that equals in my case 7 breaths (inhaling and exhaling).

Next time I'll take care that my legs do the work and that my upper body is passive.

My photography page on Facebook
My yoga page on Facebook

2 comments:

Mya Hendley said...

Thanks for sharing. I learned something today. I did not know that. It makes sense though.

Ursula Preiss said...

Welcome.