Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Padhayoragrai


Padhayoragrai is a gazing point. It means foot.

I checked the book by M. Sweeney and the book by P. Jois "Astanga yoga".

1. In the book by P. Jois I found 3 forms of paschimottanasana:  A, B, C, D and the dristi is always the foot.
2. M. Sweeney shows 3 forms. Paschimottanasana A has the nose as dristi, paschimottanasana B has nose or foot as dristi and paschimottanasana C has the foot as dristi. This means with each asana he stretches a bit more forward (not down) with the chin.


I'll stick to the recommendation of P. Jois. Next to the description of paschimottanasana are pictures of Sharath performing the poses. I cannot see at all that he's looking towards the foot. One must live with contradictions.

- So I have a look at my 2 pictures. The first pictures shows me with dristi nose. The head lies on my leg. It's as if it rests there.
- The second picture helps to keep the back in line with the neck. It also helps not to round the back more as absolutely necessary. It shows the direction in which the movement goes - forward. With the foot as dristi the pose is much more active.

PS: It's always gazing towards a point not to a point. To actually see the foot (or any other dristi) is not necessary.

PSS: It's all about the hips.

PSSS: Details count.

1 comment:

Anna said...

It's "PS", PPS, PPPS etc !!