Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The renegades


Many people live outside of the 9 to 5 and longer life style, some voluntarily, some not voluntarily. The man on the picture looked content with his life style even though it was cold and he's obviously no roof about his head. I've a lot in common with outsiders. Me, not voluntarily was more or less kicked out of the paid-by-hour-society. It's a luck. I see it so. Even though sometimes the thought comes up: Why did that happen. I don't understand: I put so much money and time in my further education over all the years. I was willing to get pressed out like a citron. But no, I shall have another fate.

I sat here in the early morning, enjoyed my morning coffee. This is really a most appreciated beginning of the day: sipping black coffee, check what happened around the globe, reading and answering to my emails, admiring some pictures that were uploaded overnight.
Afterwards I tried to give structure to my day. Important tiny tasks were postponed and became a burden. I blame yoga. It's so time-consuming. This is not fair. It's good to have a reason or excuse why things were not done. They relief the soul. And finally I'm not to blame nor anything else, life is a happening.
Now the one task is done. The pomodoro timer that divides my time in 25 min helps me to get going and it helps me to stop for  tiny breaks before the play starts again.

Sometimes I look back to my job live. The best times were indeed when I could work from home. I had such jobs where no office was offered. To appear on time in a company day in day out was experienced as prison. Colleagues learned details about myself that I didn't like to present. One reveals a lot when with people for 8 hours every day. Working from home allowed me to eat what I wanted and when I wanted. I could nap when I was exhausted. It allowed me to enjoy the sun during a walk, when it was shining. I could live according to my needs much much more.
I could handle it to work from home. I was disciplined and I dedicated enough time to the given tasks, but I had to make it a topic again and again to work consequently.

When I want to get out of the valley where I'm right now, I have to be disciplined. I experience myself in a sort of valley (a very green one, also valleys have it's beauty) because I don't offer something to society that is considered worth paying for. Not that this is a great burden, but it makes me thinking: How can I be useful in a way that gives me joy, too.
I read a blog of a photographer called Rick, 62 years old. In one of his last posts he wrote that more and more of his peers think of retirement. Not he, because he likes what he does. This is the way to go. I agree with him that keeping up with the new technologies keep us young.

11am: I did not yet practice. When I start my mind is free to focus on my breath because things are done already.


I took this picture yesterday in the subway. Almost half of the population is playing with a mobile phone whenever it's possible. It's a way to get distracted. To stand silence, doing nothing, being focused on sitting only or waiting seems impossible.

PS: Also the thought to do something useful is nothing but a limitation. Shoo, shoo, away with it. :) If I hadn't written it, I wouldn't have discovered this mental trap. Life flows (with and without me).


10 comments:

Anna said...

Your yoga is 25% less time-consuming than a day at the office!

Ursula said...

It seems to me as if it's a part-time job. Practice time alone is 2,5 hours in the meantime. lol. It's OK.

No, I never want to get back, Anna. I simply must renew my oath from time to time. In addition I cannot imagine anymore who will hire me.
It's more or less sentimental thoughts that come up from time to time. Letting go 100% also from something that was a burden is a true art. I'm getting better at it.
My writing frees me. I look forward. :)

Kitharo said...

I like the valley metaphor - like we are hermits in the woods :) That's why I get the "experienced as prison"-thing, too. We are free spirits! ;)

Maybe that's why we need Ashtanga...some grounding ritual everyday that keeps our restless nature focused.

Anna said...

My maths is terrible! I meant to say that your yoga only takes up one quarter of the time an office job would. Therefore, it's 75% less time-consuming than the 9-5 toil.

Yes, you've forged your own path and once done there's no going back - it's simply too liberating.

Debb said...

Dearest U, You say "I don't offer something to society that is considered worth paying for." You know how I feel about you (through our private emails). I would truly rank you as in the top 10 most important influences on my life. You have inspired me to keep on the path of yoga time and time again... when i think I'm too old, when I lose the reasons to practice, practice, practice, and all will come, you ignite that spark within me that yes, yoga is a wonderful path to be on. Money is fleeting.. what you have provided to people like me will be felt for a lifetime.. Deep gratitude and appreciation is felt for your wisdom and, of course, humor..

Ursula said...

Thank you, my dear friends.

I do enjoy my life. I'm a master in relaxing and focusing on the good sides of life. I'm conscious that many "sorrows" are just thoughts.

It's sunshine here. My new lens arrived. I had lunch outside. Nothing to complain and nothing to worrying, too. I know this too well.

I wish you all an excellent day. :)
Your Ursula

Quentin said...

Home less (?) man in picture has expensive weatherproof duffle bag, usually used on sailboats. His levi pants cost $75 US here in the states, and those are trail shoes. Nice looking overcoat. He has suntan on hands. What else could one desire? sitting in the park reading a good book or magazine on a beautiful day.

As for working a job forever, retirement successfully should be planned in advance. It takes courage to retire early, but I love the challenge, more time for exercise. This is the why, I workout practice yoga to live life as the Divine inspires us. Yoga contributes, But yoga is not the only exercise for mind body and soul. There are many paths to liberation and enlightenment.

Anna said...

Things for us in Europe have changed in the last 30 years from being a society that valued the non-monetary aspects of life to being completely money-driven. We are now more like America in that consumption and wealth are the prime drivers of life and engender the greatest respect. It's sad and distressing. And it assigns low-status to those trying to achieve personal fulfilment and peace outside the money-making arena.

We have to learn to keep going! Sometimes we falter but it's a worthwhile endeavour.

Look at all those people distracting themselves from real life! So funny.

Ursula said...

Poverty in "rich" countries look differently than in poor countries, Quentin. I saw the luxury clothes, too. Life is full of contradictions.

Ursula said...

The picture is blurry, but I agree it tells me a lot.
One sees unfocused moments, perhaps the blurriness fits therefore.

Many people are mentally absent. Dreaming and not even conscious that they are dreaming.