Thursday, March 15, 2012

Through


Every practice seems to have parts that are great, even fantastic, others are disappointing. My vinyasas were not so good, my concentration was good. I practiced without breaks. The reward: I'm ready with my yoga practice and it's still early. The sun is shining, it's getting warmer here and I want to go out.

As an Ashtangi practitioner one has to be organised well, the practice is time intensive. It's true these timers make a lot of noise as well during the time when they run and at the end. A commented that she almost got a heart attack once when it rang at the end. I almost fell of the sofa, not only once, when it rang after 25 min. Nevertheless to work in 25 min steps is good,  the best method that I know. I'm fine-tuning this method. After having worked for 25 min I write down what I've done. This motivates to keep going. At the end of the day I can see how productive I've been. (Hopefully.)

Time to eat and to go out. 

6 comments:

Kitharo said...

I think Ashtanga really teaches us how to organize ourselves...2 hours a day don't come easily and you have to carefully plan it. I think that's one of the unspoken benefits of a daily (Ashtanga) yoga practice :)

Have you read this article?

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2012/04/krishna-pattanbhi-trophy-wife-ashtanga-yoga

I think it's quite interesting..and it made me realize that I'm one of the "keep up tradition" ashtangis :)

Ursula said...

Thank you Kitharo, it's very interesting article with a lot of background information.

Me too, I think "keep up tradition". I've a lot of critics how yoga is marketed nowadays. True is, it has been never so popular.

There are obviously practitioners at all levels no matter how long someone is practicing.

Namaste...:)

Kitharo said...

You're welcome, I thought you'd find it interesting, too :)

I think tradition and the philosophy is important, because otherwise yoga could turn into another gymnastics and that'd completely miss the point. Ashtanga may be very physical, but I think every Ashtangi knows one or two things about the philosophy and tradition behind it and that's a great thing, I think. :)

Have a lovely evening and sleep well ;)

Ursula said...

I could discuss this topic with you till the next morning.....:)

Me too I'd say I stick to the tradition. The question comes up "what is the tradition?". I know too many teacher who think that they are traditionalists, but these are empty words and they justify only the individual teaching style.

Very informative how P.Jois taught Ashtanga yoga is described in the book "Guruji". I highly recommend it.

Kitharo said...

I think it's kind of sad when they modify like one posture and then say it's a completely different style. Especially with Ashtanga, I think it's just such an intelligent system of postures that you have to honor the tradition, because it's so smart :)

Oh that book is already on my "I want"-list for April. I love yoga books. I plan on getting the Guruji book, "Stories from behind the mat" which you recommended and "Yoga and the quest for the true self" because I've heard so much good about it. But I've to be patient, as a student I can't spend as much money as I wish haha

Namaste :)

Ursula said...

I agree.

Go for the book "Guruji" first. Here the practitioners answer honestly how it was in the early years. These yogis and yoginis have practiced Ashtanga yoga for decades and they were close to P. Jois. Not everybody who practiced in the old shala was close to P. Jois. I know you'll love it.

:)
Have a nice evening.