Monday, January 09, 2012

Self-discipline, self-study (self-observance)


There was an article in the NY Times with the content that yoga provokes injuries and it's better not to practice. This is a very short summary of the article, perhaps a bit too short.

Me too, I want to add a comment to the increasing numbers of injured yoginis. It all starts with the asanas, it's important to practice them. Ashtanga means the 8-folded path. Self-discipline and self-study are part of yoga.
Yoginis who are so self-disciplined to practice daily are less proned to get injured. The majority of the yoginis do not even attempt to establish a home practice.
Many yoginis work sloppy. Self-study is important to practice correctly. This can make a practice safe. How to self-study? One can set an intention what to observe when practicing. I think that pictures are very helpful.

Yoga is more than crazy asanas, it needs to be done with respect. One can nothing force. This is perhaps the most important learning lesson. One must let it happen and one must give up to fight.

I admit: I'm resilient.

When I was in Hawaii I published 2 very nice utthita trikonasana. Shall these pictures be enough. How did I deepen these asanas? In the beginning of my practice I reached the shin bone with my hand and then I slided down till I reached my big toe. Nowadays I move the upper body to the side, then I go down and reach the toe at once. All standing poses are balancing poses. Strong leg muscles are important. To engage the bandhas help to balance. The upper body and the face is relaxed!

Parivrtta trikonasana (see picture): The challenge is to keep the hips parallel. It's all about the hips. This pose is a combination of balancing pose and twist pose. The chest opens. These trikonasana poses are underestimated. When practicing full vinyasa the twisted trikonasanas are practiced alone. One starts from samasthitih and returns to this pose.

Play it safe, practice self-discipline, study yourself. 

5 comments:

Ann said...

I have read this NYT article. Your reminder to study the self is very appropriate. I see many in class flailing and pushing, really hurting themselves. It's necessary to have this focus. Thanks.

Anna said...

Dear Ursula - 'I want to add my mustard' - not sure what you mean!

Ursula said...

Thank you Anna.
It's a German metaphor that I obviously should not translate word by word.

It means more or less: so many have said something already, but me too, I've to add some new points, another view to the discussion: mustard so to say.
I change it. Thanks.

Ursula said...

Indeed Ann.

Yoga requires patience and a long long breath.

Namaste and relaxed practices for you.

Сергей Марченко said...

Thanks a lot! Very actual theme for me. As addition recommend to read the article Training self-discipline