Saturday, January 21, 2012

The rishi series

I found this on Anthony's blog. Finally I've the information what the rishi series is. It sounds very interesting. I must try it. To hold an asana for 50 breaths equals about 4 min in my case. I don't like to count so much. I'll set a timer. 


Dear Adrian,
Nice to hear from you and I am glad that you enjoyed the workshop...so did I.
Doing a practice of 10 postures for up to 50 breaths is a method of preparing for "advanced series" after one has learned 1st and 2nd.  It can be done once or twice a week.  One does the "salutations" and then starts going thru the series, holding each posture for as long as comfortably possible.  Notice which postures could be held for 50 breaths.  The next time you practice this way, the postures which you could hold for 50 are omitted and new ones are added at the end.  One gradually works thru the series, dropping and adding asanas, still doing 10 asanas per session.  I have gone all the way thru 1st and 2nd this way several times over the years and have found it beneficial.
Then, once one has mastered all of the asanas, one can practice "the rishi series", the most advanced practice.  One does the 10 postures that one intuits will be the most beneficial and appropriate for that day, holding each posture for up to 50 comfortable breaths.  
I hope this is clear.  Please feel free to ask further questions.  
All the best to you.
Yours in Yoga,
David (Williams)

2 comments:

Grimmly said...

No not 5th Ursula...in a sense it's 7th or rather what comes after Advanced B.... or even better just 'What comes after'.

Ursula said...

It's true. I'll correct this. Thank you. I don't want to confuse the community more.

Namaste.

Ursula