Friday, January 27, 2012

Primary series, a summary and setu bandhasana


Let's look back. This month, the first month of 2012 I took  pictures of all the asanas of primary Ashtanga series.
Have I learned anything?

I think I know now what are the next steps here:

1. Most asanas look rather beautifully, don't you think so? Hahaha.....Some need still a bit more love, like upavistha konasana, urdhva dhanurasana, supta parsvasahita.
2. Much more attention need the vinyasas. I saw the importance of it much too late. I think I'll do extra sessions to learn finally to jump through, back and forward.
3. The breath: I realized that I get out of the pose in the middle of the last exhaling. Am I in a hurry or what? hahaha. Yeah, I can eliminate this sloppiness. Good that I realized this.

4. What I'll do next time is to put a block in front of my feet when practicing the forward bending asanas. I realized that it's not parallel to the wall. I must get a feeling again how it is when it's 100% parallel. These are details, but details count.
5. Dristhi? I will surely pay more attention to it. Sometimes I don't even know it.
6. I studied again the book by Lino Miele and P. Jois "Astanga yoga. I learned that the practice can be practiced with full vinyasa from the beginning to the end. I use this book as a bible when it comes to full vinyasa.

7. Astanga yoga is a life style. In the book by Lino Miele and P. Jois I read sentences like this near almost every asana (this quote is from page 26): "This group of asanas (prasarita padottanasana, remark of the author of this blog) reduce the accumulation of fat deposits around the waist and increase the strength and tone of the mucles of the legs and back."
For me this is more a pointer to eat healthy. A slim body makes things, at least the asanas and vinyasas, easier.

Setu bandhasana (see picture): When the body is weak or not engaged all the weight is on the neck and this can cause neck pain. If the body is engaged the weight is everywhere and this pose can become even relaxing. Being strong and flexible is the secret to perform these crazy asanas and to love them.


No comments: