Sunday, January 08, 2012

Hasta padangusthasana and pada hastasana


What I like is that the back is straight and the neck seems to be relaxed. The top of the head moves to the floor, the nose doesn't move to the shin bone. The elbows move outside. The big toes give a bit resistance. The legs are engaged, so are the bandhas. Dirshti is the nose and the asana has 3 vinyasas.
There is no simple pose. These asanas indeed help to develop body feeling.

I think it's important to understand the pose. It's all about the hips. The flexibility of the hips increases when practicing this pose.
The book by Lino Miele is in front of me. I talk so much about weight that it's already almost embarrassing. To lose weight indeed seems to be program of the first series.
I quote from page 20 from the book: "They (these 2 asanas) reduce the accumulation of fat around the waist and abdomen."
Hahaha, this I can read beside almost every asana. Shall it be so.

When practicing full vinyasa these two asanas are practiced separately.


This is pada hastasana. It's a bit deeper than hasta padangusthasana.

Pada means foot.
Hasta means hand.
Padangustha means toe.

It makes sense to remember these sanskrit names. It makes it so much easier to remember the names of the asanas when knowing a few words.

What can I do to improve this pose?
Being patient and to stay a bit longer in this pose might help.


2 comments:

ClaireBear said...

Indeed it will take time, your right about increasing the time that you hold into the pose. Eventually it will feel blissful if not already :)

Ursula said...

I love this pose. In the beginning I only hang forward. It became a very active pose.

I love it, but it develops very very slowly. :)