Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bhuja pidasana, the underestimated asana of the first Ashtanga series


Finally something new, hahaha: the vinyasa is totally different. The feet jump around the arms. Best is when they don't touch the floor.
When I remember well, during the first years, I put my hands behind my feet that were still on the floor. This is  surely also a possibility. The earlier one challenges oneself, the earlier progress can be seen.


Also in the book by Lino Miele 2 versions are described. It's easier, but possible to put the front on the floor (feet are high), or and this is the advanced version, one tries to bring the chin to or towards the floor. It's easy to blame the proportions of the body that it won't be possible. Most of the time one can compensate.


The exit is via tittibasana A. It's not held, it's a transition. In second series it's a pose on it's own. To give it some energy is recommended.


To go from tittibasana to bakasana is something I'm still working on. I found out that the hands need to be close together. The heels move outward, the thighs inward, the hole body forward. To engage the abdomen helps. It's within reach, perhaps even this year. This transition comes later again.

So the first series has a lot of stuff that is needed for further series, too.

Ah, taking pictures spoils my practice. But I'm also learning from my pictures. 
I started with the CD by Sharath and practiced with it till navasana. Oh, I've not yet gained back the strength that I had at the end of the last year. I will regain it.
I stop now. I've other things to do, too. This counts as a practice. Yes. 

6 comments:

deborahsyogablog said...

about that transition- I don't think you fully enter bakasana from tittibasana. This is from the David Garrigues workshop, I'm pretty sure he said the knees never go up into the armpits when transitioning from tittibasana. My recollection may be faulty since by that point my arms were jelly filled amoebas, but I'm fairly sure the knees go around the arms and swiftly back, using all that core strength you've developed from Navasana Haha!
I'll have to look at some videos when I have half a chance.
Another fun thing we did was working on the jump to bakasana by crouching on a block. The balls of your feet are up on the block, to give you a little height, your arms are stretched out in front. So you can jump forward without as much force, making it easier to control the landing.
Bon chance!

Ursula said...

Thank you Deborah, you're probably right. I was never shown how it goes by someone. I try to imitate. So thank you very much for your comment.

Re bakasana B, I try to to jump into half handstand (legs bended). Then I want to lower slowly, controlled. It's improving.
I know your version, too. It didn't help me so much. I should retry it.

Bon chance for you, too. :)

Flutter said...

Beautiful photos, very well captured

Ursula said...

Thank you. Yeah, I think my pictures improved, too, :).

Quentin said...

Bhuja pidasana: David Williams in one of the workshops I attended said to do bakasana instead until able to hold for over a minute and then do pidasana using the jump into with legs over arms balanced then into bhuja pidasana. (Most of those attending were not able to jump into pidasana and this is when he said to go into crow pose.)

Ursula said...

Thank you Quentin for sharing your knowledge.

This can indeed be an approach.