Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I like it.


Yeah, I like it: my new pictures.

Yesterday E picked me up at the station. In front of the station was a Christmas market. We stopped there for a last glow wine for this year. An older couple asked if they could join us at our table. As soon as they settled down the woman started to tell what she didn't like. She didn't like to pay 150 Euro for a dinner at new year's eve. She didn't like to get home with the public transportation at night. If she had to do this the whole evening would have been spoiled for her. She went on and on.

- I've friends who only like dresses from a certain brand.
- Once a friend visited me and she only liked to walk on the one side of the street, not on the other side. One side seemed too tight, the other side seemed to be bright. It was very important to walk on the bright side.

The new medias enforce this simple thinking pattern. Every day I'm asked if I like a video, a picture, a statement, or simply the new profile picture of someone.

It is all very simple. This is indeed a bit too simple for me.


This question "do I like it?" might indeed even make sense from time to time to be able to make decisions. I prefer pastel shades to black. It helps me to make a quick decision what clothes to buy, to give only one ecample.
I experience an invasion of this question. 

Often the likes and dislikes are learned. It can make sense to question them.
Best example is the weather. We all know what bad weather is. Even in the radio they speak about bad weather which is mainly rain and low temperature in Germany. In other regions of this world this is already different. An Indian friend of me likes the cold snowy weather here in Germany. Thinking of "bad weather" can spoil even a good mood. In my opinion this question doesn't make sense if it has so much influence on my well-being. I love the sentence: There is no bad weather, only bad clothes.

Sometimes it doesn't help to question why something is liked and why something is not liked.
Sometimes we have to accept our preferences. It will always be so that we like things and that we don't like other things. It depends how strong we're influenced by it.

As long as we live, our bodies will always show us limits, no matter how flexible we are. I think with the mind it's similar. It's possible to exercise the mind to become flexible, which means for me to see more aspects of the same thing.

We all have thinking patterns. It's surely interesting to examine those.
"I like it", "I don't like it" is only one approach to anything and it's a simple pattern. We all use it.

As mentioned already: Not only the body can become flexible, also the mind.
Why not approach anything with a new question?
Re a new difficult asana it's possible to ask how to learn it instead of asking if we like it or not.
Re the weather the question what to dress to feel good might be more helpful than to ask if we like it.
Every event has different sides. Why not finding out the best and the worst side of it.

Finding a new approach to life events is a training for the mind. Best is to write down the results.

The world is more colorful, it's not only black and white, it's not only "I like it", "I don't like it".

Practicing asanas keeps the body flexible.
Observing oneself and to look for thinking patterns and to add new ways of seeing things can make the mind flexible.

What are your favorite thinking patterns?

PS: To travel is in my view a good exercise to stay flexible. 

No comments: