Thursday, September 29, 2011

Primary today


Primary is on the schedule. It will be a home practice. I'll start and end the practice with the CD by Sharath. It sets the right rhythm right from the beginning on and I hold the last asanas longer than I do without being led throuth the closing sequence.

Focus will be the vinyasas. I watched the youtube videos by Kino MacGregor yesterday night. I realized that mayurasana and  jumping back have in common that I have to move the body forward so that the weight is on the arms. How to move the weight forward is still a secret. I'll explore it today.

Another focus will be the correct vinyasa count. Also the vinyasa count makes Ashtanga to what it is. Uddhaji  breathing, drishti, vinyasa and vinyasa count, bandhas are important in that yoga style. In Ashtanga yoga the eyes are open and gaze towards a point. Eyes are not closed.

I'm glad that I do primary today. It's still easier for me than second series. I need it easy today. 


It seems as if nothing gets done in my life. I dawdle and dawdle and dawdle.
How much room will I give to my yoga practice, I wonder. It's so time-consuming. Daily practice: yes. But no more. Life has more to offer.

Time to step on my mat. 

9 comments:

Debb said...

Last night at yoga class my teacher spoke of the importance of doing balancing poses every day. She does balancing every morning before planning her day and she believes the day, consequently, has more focus and she accomplishes more. I'm trying that today, often I omit the balance postures (asanas done on one leg) because of time constraints. Not today, so we shall see if I accomplish more here in my spot on this beautiful Fall day in the midwest, USA.
Namaste, dear U.

Ursula said...

Thank you Debb for your comment.

I think a balanced practice has balancing poses, back bending, forward bending, twists, inversions, strength building actions.......
.....balancing poses have the huge advantage that no thinking is possible. If I start thinking when balancing I start wobbling.....

Happy practices to you.

PS: I'm very busy those times. Sometimes yoga is on the second place on my endless lists.....:)

ClaireBear said...

Ursula that video was very helpful! I'll have to practice bringing my weight forward in the jump back! I was practicing handstands this morning in class, so challenging! My arms aren't quite strong enough to hold it for very long!

Ursula said...

Repetition is the secret....

Don't give up....:)

Namaste
Ursula

Quentin said...

Experienced ashtanga yogis seem to focus more on breath and dristi rather than doing the pose, which beginners seem to focus more on whether they are doing the pose correctly or not.

Just relax breath through whatever series currently working on and the pose will be mastered in time, many practices. Om Namaste.

Ursula said...

I agree Quentin.

There is nothing bad to focus on the asanas first. They are challenging. It's good to know there is more than asanas. Breath, drishtis, bandhas support to perform the asanas....

Namaste.
:)
Ursula

krille59 said...

For how long have you been practicing ashtangayoga?

krille59 said...

For how long have you been practicing ashtangayoga?
Namaste

Ursula said...

...for 8 years now. Relatively soon I started a daily practice.

I started when I was 44 years old. What also counts: I've always moved my body. I discovered other forms of yoga with 19. In my 20s I did Aikido. Again and again I returned to yoga. Now I've found my style, it's Ashtanga.