Monday, February 28, 2011

Paschimottanasana on the back


Doing paschimottanasana on the back is really enlightening. Being on the back guarantees that the back is straight. The entire truth can be seen. The legs are engaged, so are the bandhas. Feet are parallel. The shoulders are supposed to be on the floor, too, but more doesn't seem possible. Not today.
Yep, the distance between legs and torso is rather large. Hehe.

I have the idea to practice paschimottanasana on the back from the book by Matthew Sweeney "Vinyasa Krama".
I'm learning the first sequence. It's not so exhausting like any of the Ashtanga series. But I was surprised what a challenge it can be to practice simple variations. The first sequence is rather close to the Ashtanga primary. To get differently than usually into a pose can become a challenge.
It's a good awareness exercise, too, to practice a different sequence.

Matthey Sweeney is an Ashtanga yoga practitioner for decades. Much thought and experience flew into creating the sequences.

It can be of great help to have some more modest yoga sequences in mind.
I feel ill and knowing this sequence allowed me to have a nice practice.
Not much is possible today. Time for a nap.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Ursula, Hope you feel better soon. Remember that savangasana is excellent for head colds! I spent extra time there when I feel one coming on, and so far, it has worked every time.

You might also like to check out: http://vinyasakrama.com/Main_Page
if you have never looked there. Mr. Ramaswami has a newsletter that he sends out monthly (I think) that is usually full of great information. I had the privilege of studying with him as part of my YTT - a direct line to Krishnamacharya! At first he seemed like a very sweet, older man. Then he totally kicked our butts in asana practice! It was great.

Thanks, as always, for all you share.

Ursula said...

Thanks Robyn,
and also thanks for the link. I'll check it later.