Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh, it's late today for my daily soap.....


It's time to publish this wonderful sunset taken by Mahesh in the middle of the ocean.
Thank you for sharing such beauty with me.
Here it's  evening, too. Time flies.

Nothing needs more concentration than balancing poses. Balancing poses exercise the mind to stay at the current moment. I can dream when I do the sitting poses. When I dream while in one of the headstands it can happen easily that I fall or role out of the pose. It happened to me lately.

Second series has a few balancing poses. In my opinion when practicing second series much more concentration is needed than in primary as there are much more balancing asanas. At once I stop dreaming when I do karandavasana. It's impossible to dream when I do forearm stand, fold my legs into lotus pose, go down, put my legs on my upper arms and then up again.
It's the same with the other balancing poses like mayurasana and vatayanasana.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons why second series is more challenging. I needed sleep again when I arrived at home after a very satisfying second series in a Mysore class.

The conclusion: If you want to get an empty mind, do balancing poses.

Ashtanga yoga exercises the body AND the mind.

PS: You can also follow this blog on facebook. A link is on the right side of this blog.

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Hey, I like your blg very much!
I'm practicing power yoga and you show very inspiring pictures and sensations from the yoga practice!
I sae here that u've been to Brazil last year, I'm brazilian and I'm happy you've liked the energy here.
Congrats for the space here, I'm always back here to get inspired, I'm a beginner yet!
kisses from Brazil,
Joyce

Joyce said...

Hey, I like very much your blog! I do power yoga and your pictures and enthusiasm talking about yoga are inspiring! I saw that you've been to Brazil last year, I'm brazilian and I'm happy to know that u've enjoyed the eneregy here!
Congrats for this space!
Kisses from Brazil,
Joyce

Ursula said...

Kisses fly back to Brazil.
I loved to be there. But next time I'll pack a bikini.

Enjoy your yoga trip. It's worth it.
An keep on commenting.

:)
Ursula

Cranegrl1 said...

Yes you are right about the balancing poses. I have only been practicing for a year and am in Primary Series. But I noticed just today doing Uthitta Hasta Padangustasana that it does take so much concentration and you can't think about anything else except your balancing and your breath. You focus on the breath to get through the pose. It is so wonderful because for a few minutes you forget about all of your troubles and you just exist.

Cranegrl1 said...

Yes you are right about the balancing poses. I have only been practicing for a year and am in Primary Series. But I noticed just today doing Uthitta Hasta Padangustasana that it does take so much concentration and you can't think about anything else except your balancing and your breath. You focus on the breath to get through the pose. It is so wonderful because for a few minutes you forget about all of your troubles and you just exist.

Ursula said...

Exactly, this is also one of the poses, when the slightest thought comes up and if it is "today it's good", I start wobbling. Not a single thought is allowed in that pose when I want to stand like a statue.

Be balanced in yoga and in life...:)
Ursula