Friday, June 18, 2010

Primary

Last practice of the week. I'll go to a Mysore class. On Friday I practice primary.
Yesterday evening I studied the bible, the book by Lino Miele and P. Jois. Each time when I go through this book, I discover something new. When I practice alone I like to do full vinyasa. I thought one begins the asanas with samasthiti only in the middle part of the practice. But also the last asanas of the closing sequence start with samasthithi if one wants to practice full vinyasas.
Full vinyasa feels good to me. It shall also help me to build strength. I have the feeling that I need more strength for second series. To lift the body up when I am in karandavasana is only possible with very strong arms. Full vinyasas can support to build strenght as much more push ups are done.

Yesterday after class we had an interesting conversation. A yogini complained how difficult it is to bind when doing the twists. Another yogini said that it is easy for her as she has long arms, but then the pose has no more the same effect, because the spine needn't turn so much in order to bind. This woman practiced Ashtanga yoga only for a few months, but has so much understanding. To have it easy or to do quickly a pose is not the goal. The poses have all an effect on the body. To have this effect is the goal. Sometimes it can be better not to be able to do an asana so quickly. This woman said that her challenge is to build strength. This is in my opinion another wisdom. There are challenges for everybody. If no challenge is felt, one does not practice correctly. The practice surely becomes easier, but challenges remain.

The soccer players want to win, we yoginis and yogis cannot win, we can only enjoy our practice.....
Shall this be my attitude today.......less ambition, more joy.

And now my second cup of coffee.......

6 comments:

C.K. said...

Manju told me Tuesday that the key to getting Karandavasana is the abs (not the arms). Perhaps that's why he has us hold Navasana for so long.

Ursula said...

Thank you Cara for telling me this.

I prefer to exercise my abs. Hahahaha.

bindifry said...

ambition ruins yoga.
i am doing pilates now. it helps with yoga A LOT.

Ursula said...

Do you practice yoga and pilates now?

Quentin said...

Manju has been teaching Ashtanga for a long time. I am in the US and lead 5 classes per week, age 61 and have tried getting in touch with Manju for some type of Teacher Certification in Ashtanga. My friends in Ashtanga say not to go to Mysore. He does not answer. Maybe you can tell or let me know his schedule for workshops. I have read that he will issue Ashtanga certificate authorizing a student to teach as learned from him after attending a few workshops. I am already RYT 200 and have completing training from sivananda towards 500. I enjoy your blog Ursula and am learning more each time I log on. I did not know one should vinyasa for finishing poses. Usually when reaching final poses I enjoy slowing down. Does Mysore or any of certified Ashtanga teachers by Pattabhi Jois recommend this?

Quentin said...

karandavasana is challenging. I am still working on headless headstand away from the wall. I just can not envision Manju doing karandavasana. I have seen David Swenson do this with such grace.