Friday, December 11, 2009

Urdhva mukha paschimottanasna and how to learn getting into this pose with straight legs

Mysore class this morning was again very inspiring:
Teacher M knows the secrets:
So I have no problems to get from halasana (holding the toes) into ubbaya padangusthasana with straight legs.
I do have difficulties to get into urdhva mukha paschimottanasana with straight legs. Today M put 2 blankets on my mat. With this soft floor it is so much easier. I studied exactly how I do it when doing ubbaya padangusthasana. Then I tried to apply the information on urdhva mudha paschimottanasana. Important is to exhale and to get a bit deeper into halasana in order to be able to swing up with the next inhaling. It is not important to hold the feet hard. When up, then with the next exhaling the upper chest and the feet can come closer together. To stretch the toes upwards is also helpful. But the trick that helps learning it, is the soft blanket. This transition into urdhva mukha paschimottanasana with straight legs will make my practice much more elegantly.

What else:
- The eyes are open when we practice Ashtanga yoga.
- When we inhale when doing the first surya namaskara A, we do not swing the arms up. We start inhaling which starts in the middle of the body. When the body fills with air, the arms come up. This makes a difference.

No comments: