Sunday, December 20, 2009

A questionaire from a yogi :)

What is your favourite asana?
I do have preferences re asanas, even though they are much weaker than they used to be. But you want an answer and not a philosophy. So, in the first series, it is ubbaya padangusthasana. In the second series it is ustrasana.
Which one you dislike?
Tittibasana, tittibasana.....I am in peace now with garbha pindasana, because I'm admired for being able to do this pose. Often I am here in Munich the only one who is able to do it. :) Nevertheless garbha pindasana is a crazy pose: being in lotus and stretching the arms through the folded legs. What for a person can have such an idea? Only a crazy one.
What is your body-background, which body-arts or movements you experienced in the past?
In school I didn't like sports so much. I was in a school only for girls and I feared I was one of those who had her period every week, because then we were allowed to sit on the bench, watching the others playing volley ball or running around. No, school sports was nothing for me. I am more or less a tiny person and group sports is nothing for me.
First I discovered yoga, then karate, then Aikido, a bit of belly dancing, salsa and yoga again. Yoga was done through all the years. Except of belly dancing I was always very committed, which means training 5 times a week minimum (the martial arts even with men). When B, (my yoga teacher) learned that I did Aikido, she said: Ah now I understand. I didn't ask what she understood. I think it is my commitment and strength?
I'd love to dance. I am not musical. But as I've heard the man has to lead. Hahahahaha. I am with a man who is very musical, but prefers to invite me to restaurants. I am in peace with this.
What is the difference for you between your Ashtanga practice and your earlier yoga styles?
In the early years yoga was supposed to make me flexible. I wished to be able to sit in lotus pose without moving for hours. To be in an asana and not to move as long as possible was a wished status. Then I discovered rather late Jivamukti yoga which combines yoga with music and movement. I was fascinated. The Americans created something new. The source also for them was Ashtanga yoga: Ashtanga yoga combines for me strength and flexibility. The even breath calms the mind. Focus is also something I've only applied in Ashtanga yoga. I could talk and talk and talk about this topic. It shall be enough.
What is your favourite book?
I have no favourite book, it is impossible to make a decision. Re Ashtanga yoga my favourite book for the time being is the one by Matthew Sweeney: Ashtanga yoga as it is. I look at it every day. :)
How many books do you own?
I have a library at home, a collection. I am conscious that one can avoid life when hiding behind books. There is simply too much too good stuff outside that must be read. But to live is better than to read...., believe me (wink).
How will your favourite day look like?
I am very happy with my morning routine: writing my journal, doing Ashtanga yoga, then having a healthy breakfast or lunch.
It would be OK to work for money for 4 hours a day. What can bring me so much money will be the question. And then reading or meeting people, being with E, cooking, writing. That's it.

L, you are very curious, do you know this?
And because you are so young, I used so many colors.
An advice for you: Know that valleys will come, simply go on......




4 comments:

Lars said...

Am I curious? I wanted to bring a bit more life to your blog, some other aspects. Maybe I shall give you one question a week? ;)

Ursula said...

Hahahahahahahaha. :)

Debb said...

Thank you for sharing your answers, Ursula... I agree with all you've said.. I believe you can be an inspiration for younger people as well as someone my age (50s).. I find Ashtanga very challenging but the benefits are amazing... better sleep, better serenity, better energy... in the midst of the holidays and all that brings to my life, my yoga practice is even more important to do daily... May Holiday Blessings be yours this season, Ursula.

Ursula said...

Thank you for your comment Debb.
Ashtanga yoga keeps me young (and the genes).

Thank you, I wish you the same, wonderful Christmas....but it's still some days......