Friday, December 04, 2009

Hand position


There is much to write today, I also have to do some pictures.......
Today I also want to write about something that I discover when I see others. Often the position of the hand is wrong when doing downward facing dog or when ever the hands are on the floor. The middle finger points forward, the palm IS on the floor. The fingers are spread. This all gives stability. To have the wright hand position can make a difference.......
PS: I had such an intensive yoga week, that I voluntarily don't want to practice tomorrow. I will have a yoga free day tomorrow and I will enjoy it.

4 comments:

Debb said...

I agree with the hand placement. I think too about the connection of my knuckles with the ground. A good grounded hand connection is essential. And, the wrist should not be bent, correct? I see a lot of bent wrists in my Ashtanga class. But I am not the teacher so I say nothing..

I love your tips, Ursula. They create a reminder to me to be aware, be aware...
Namaste,
Debb

Ursula said...

Thank you for your input Debb.

tanya said...

observe the thumb it should be straight and the nails should be on the top as far as possible so that the mounts are pressed well and the entire weight of the top body is taken by it and also the elbow joint is well opened up to give proper extension.
I am not a teacher but what is commented is from years of practice in Iyengar Yoga.

Ursula said...

Hi Tanya,
Thank you for completing my post.

I know that those who practice Iyengar style practice much more precise than Ashtangis. In comparison to the Iyengar yogis we pracite rather sloppy I fear.

I was conscious how the hands should be, but not of the joints of the hands. I will observe this the next time.

Thank you for you input.