Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yoga teaches me so much


Discipline i.e.: Yesterday morning I remembered that I had to pick up a book from the post office. The night before I went to bed without washing myself, with all the make-up on my face I went to bed. I brushed my teeth of course, this I always do. (always). The next morning I wanted to go to the post office without washing either. I felt so down, so very down, so low in energy, nothing mattered anymore. "Wash yourself", an inner voice told me (it was not my mother.) And so I schlepped myself to the bathroom for intensive body care. I left the house showered with washed hair and well-groomed nails. I put nice clothes on and felt already so much better. Discipline. To practice yoga on a daily basis I learn to be disciplined. To be disciplined helps in life.

To see the ups and downs on a daily basis when practicing yoga also makes hopeful that this is true for life in general. And it is.

I picked up my book (The well-fed self-publisher by Peter Bowerman) and went shopping: I found so wonderful clothes (a skirt, 2 blouses, a jacket, shoes), a tiny Buddha, ear rings, a book, something to smell, cherries........

Late in the evening I practiced. It was a good and intensive practice. I could even hook my fingers when I did supta kurmasana. I dropped back into urdhva dhanurasana.
A late walk downtown finished my evening.
My Sunday morning practice is before me and so many other things.

(Oh my, the mind entertained me so well lately. Thoughts of its finest.)

My next focus in my yoga practice: to come up from urdhva dhanurasana. I want to complete this dynamic symbolic pose.

No comments: