Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ten.....


......o'clock. I can hear the washing machine in the background. That's good, activities happened already, no, not in the early morning, but still in the morning and not after lunch.

I wanted to get up early (at 7 a.m.), but I didn't hear the alarm clock, my bf switched it off very quickly. His ears are better than mine. Good that I have someone to blame.
Now I sit here with my second cup of black coffee. Accursed, I think, it's late already.

What else has to go? I have 2 typewriters - a mechanical one and an electronic one. The mechanical one belonged once to my Grandma. She bought it after the war for her business - she produced socks. It was very modern at that time. Now I have it. It's difficult to let go of this old machine. But the electronic one that I bought for a furtune decades ago must go, I decided yesterday. I didn't use it for decades. PC's made them redundant. They can only be used to fill in forms, but to be realistic, I wouldn't use my typewriter when I should have to fill in a form. I'd do it handwritten. Can anybody need my typewriter, I wondered, this machine is like new. But I really don't know if someone can use it. Do they need electronic typewriters in Africa? In my boldest dreams I cannot imagine this. They want PC'S, too and printers. I should ask R.
Picture: The typewriter of my Grandma, now mine. It made me laugh when I lifted it up. It's so heavy, it's as heavy as 2 laptops. Yeah, my dear mechanic typewriter.

5 comments:

Tracy said...

they could sure use it in India!! you know, with the power outages and such~~~but here, I don't know who could use it...these notebooks we have are so sophisticated aren't they?! xo (it sure is pretty though!)

Ursula said...

Dear Tracy,

I like to give my stuff to people who need it. But sometimes it really makes no sense. To ship this heavy machine is too expensive. To find someone who can need it, is difficult.

R. just emailed me. Even in Ghana they don't need an electronic typewriter.

And this old mechanic one, forget it, it's really hard to type with it. It's something for a museum.

Tomorrow I will throw away my electronic typewriter, scarcly used, expensive when I bought it, but so it is.

Anna said...

Ursula - I bought an electronic one just before pcs came in and I had to give mine away too (years ago though!) I love your grandma's typewriter. I always feel a little sad when I see typewriters -- how many of our mothers and grandmothers earned their living with such great typing skills (changing ribbons; putting in carbon paper for duplicates; pushing that big lever to get to another line). I love the whole social history of them. What happened to the sock business?

Ursula said...

I will try to make it short.

Other relatives started a sock business too. My grandma was alone with her husband (who was older than her) and my father. After a while my Grandma joined the ralatives and worked for them.My father bacame a teacher. The business flourished and in best times they had several hundred employees. But a few years ago the company got broke. The competition in the clothes business was too hard.

Btw, perhaps you missed it. Monica left a comment for you. It's published. If you do not find it let me know.

Tracy said...

oh i agree!! it would cost you double the price of the typewriter to send that thing to india!! nice thought, put not possible~ xo