Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Every thing needs a place

Every thing needs a place: books are supposed to be on the shelf, cosmetics in the bathroom, clothes in the wardrobe, papers in a file, cups in the cupboard.
Not so much things could be found that I could throw away. It is amazing how much dust behind the books can be. Another area of my bookshelf is clean now. I made two rows in that shelf, so that the books that were under my desk could wonder to that shelf. That way I could reduce the piles of books under my desk from 5 to 4. The 6th pile of books are books that I want to sell. This should be my next step.

On writing: Lately I read in books on writing. The first hint to improve a text is: Delete all the redundant words. Everything that is not necessary detetoriates a story, a post. I just deleted another sentence, sometimes more than a word has to go. What is correct for a story is also true for a home. Again I must mention it: Less is more.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Speaking as a man who has spent too much money re-purchasing books: it's possible to disidentify from one's possessions without disposing of them.

Also, forgive me for mentioning it, but dust is harmless. The late Quentin Crisp said

"After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse."

(He never cleaned.)

Ursula said...

Hahaha, I like your comment.

I know people who NEVER cleaned. Dust gets worse. :)

Some people have the habit to move in another flat if the mess becomese too worse.