Friday, October 03, 2008

An analysis of my primary series (before practicing)

Influenced by the book by Levine "A gradual awakening" and the chapter of loving-kindness (also towards oneself) I'd like to start writing about something positive.
In the beginning of my Ashtanga practice I was convinced that there were a lot of asanas in the primary series I would never be able to do. Here they are: ardha baddha padmottanasana, marichyasana c and d, supta kurmasana, garbha pindasana and baddha padmasana. Most of the asanas I just mentioned I am able to do now. I can do ardha baddha padmottanasana, marichyasana c and d, garbha pindasana and baddha padmasana. Supta kurmasana needs improvement. By learning one by one of these asanas I doubt my own words now when I think: I will never be able to do xy-pose. Perhaps it takes longer to learn it, perhaps even very long, but more poses are within reach for me than I thought. It is possible that I will never be able to do very advanced poses, it doesn't matter. Again, I think now more is possible than I sometimes can imagine. My attitude became more positive, limitations that I saw disappeared. This is an attitude I learned and experienced in my yoga practice during the last 5 years, but it is an attitude towards other tasks in my life, too. I mean this is something. What a miracle that a few poses could do.

Here are the poses/vinyasas that needs more attention:
- It is the jumping forward and backward between the poses, called the vinyasas. Gregor Maehle has helpful hints. It shall be a matter of strenght if one is able to do it. He recommends lollasana, to lift the body up, being on the hands, knees are bent. This shall be repeated if necessary even 3 times a day. The pose shall be held for 15 breaths.
- Supta kurmasana - It is still a challenge. I can bind the fingers behind my back now, but the toes can only touch when I have a good day. I guess patience will help.
- Beside the classic vinyasa of jumping back and forward there is the vinyasa going from tittibasana to bekasana when coming out of bhuja pidasana and supta kurmasana. This is really a challenge and often I feel too weak to do it.
- Urdhva dhanurasana (dropping back on my own): This pose needs perhaps the most attention. It should be possible to do it, it should. Really? Also at my age?

How to improve these poses? I think to give them more time is a good idea. To stay longer in these asanas, to repeat them is surely a good idea. It might be helpful to explore them in detail. To develop at least a feeling of curiousity is better than to be impatient.

It is rainy here (and cold), a perfect day to convince the body that it is most pleasant to do Ashtanga yoga, a perfect day to convince the mind that it is most relaxing just to sit and to observe the flow of thoughts.

7 comments:

C.K. said...

Hi Ursula,

It's cold and rainy here, too. And I'm also fighting off a cold.
At least you don't have an endless presidential election to deal with.

How nice it would be to meet you for lunch at Green Leaf!

xo
Cara

Ursula said...

Dear Cara,

That would be so great to meet you at Green Leaf. Right now I could pack my suitcases and come. That's Indian food there. I was disappointed yesterday, not enough spicies, and the wine was awful.

We'll meet again in India, I am sure. Perhaps in Pune? My last trip was not my last trip to that amazing country.

E. is in the bathtube now. Perhpas this is a good idea for you too to fight the cold.

I will prepare spagetthi al'arrabiata, Italian food.

We have all a day off here, day of the reunification. But I do not watch TV, I prefer reading books on meditation.

I wish you a relaxed entertaining day.

xo
Ursula

yoga positions said...

Please review this free yoga resource
yogabodychakra.com

Begin - writing, yoga, and more said...

Hi Ursula -
I like this - it's helpful. Some day when I have more time and energy, I will learn all these pose names.

Some other day, further in the future, I might even learn these poses!

M

Ursula said...

Hi Marie, some time I will know them. I cheated a bit. I had the book by Sweeney on my lap.

I wish you much energy also for other things than learning names of asanas.

Best

U

Krishna said...

Hi Ursula

Again I am commenting on an old post of urs and I am motivated that the postures that I thought are difficult for me as of now were equally difficult for u but with regular practice u seem to have mastered those poses . This is really motivating for me .

Ursula said...

More is possible, than we think!
"Practice and all is coming", the Ashtangis say.