Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Zazen today "only"

I never thought that just to sit could become a place of refuge for me. I sit and stories come up, justifications, funny stories, what life entails. But there is no need to do anything, there is no need to act or react or even think about it or feel anything. I needn't be involved anymore. I can relax. It's only me who remembers, gets entertained.

In the beginning of the session, I notice that I often have my eyes closed. But I don't want to go on sleeping only in sitting position. So I open my eyes, I keep them half open, half closed. In one of my books I read that this symbolizes that one looks inside oneself, but also outside into the world. Good idea.

The 20 min are over so fast. But it's nice to know that I have found a place of refuge, I only have to make it a bit more quite. :)

I don't torture me anymore to be in a perfect seat (lotus position).
I like to have a comfortable cushion to sit on.
Perhaps one day, when it is easier to keep lotus pose, I will change to this pose, But for now, it's good to have it comfortable. And also my comfortable seat shows attitude.

3 comments:

gartenfische said...

Ursula,

I'm so glad you've been able to incorporate sitting into your life and are finding it meaningful. It is a wonderful refuge. Now that I've been doing it for a while, I must start my day with sitting or I would feel terribly out of sorts. It's a beautiful way to start the day! (And yoga, too, of course.)

Cody Pomeray said...

Your ongoing commitment to the zazen practice is very inspirational, especially for occasional sitters like myself. It's a good reminder to just do it! No thinking, no fretting, just practice!

Ursula said...

Thank you for the nice comments.

It's a surprise for me that firstly I'm able to do it and secondly that I like it.