Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ashtanga playground - bandhas

We were 3 women and the teacher. The bandhas were the focus today. All asanas are better with bandhas, but it is almost not possible to do asanas like bakasana without bandhas, especially when I want to jump into this asana.

I had the glimpse that I can jump into bakasana, when I use the bandhas. That's something.

To go up and down into headstand while using the bandhas is easier, too. It gives stability. Conclusion: Bandhas are very important.

The 3 bandhas are moola bandha, uddiyana bandha and jalandhara bandha (last one is not that important).

With the help of the teacher I got up and down in urdhva dhanurasana. It was another try. I was again confronted with my fears, but at least I did it.

The hour at the studio were also theory. I was not at all exhausted at the end, and this was good due to my sore throat.

Book recommendation: Moola Bandha - The master key by Swami Buddhananda

4 comments:

samasthiti said...

Insert bananas for bandhas and it's really funny.

Too bad you aren't coming! It only cold now, but it will warm up to the mid 30's next week and no snow. The shala is always warm!

Tim said...

That book is surprisingly good, considering the subject. Who would have thought that 150 pages about being a tight-ass could be so gripping?

Ursula said...

Susan, I wish I could come. The job, the job.......

Ursula said...

Tim, I agree, I have the book and it is very informative.