Tuesday, September 19, 2006

When to start with intermediate series


My evening lecture yesterday was the book by David Swenson. He also said something important on the criterion when to start intermediate series: ".......one should have a sufficient knowledge of the flow of the primary series so that it is not necessary to refer to any external source, such as a video, book, tape or diagrom,......The depth of the asanas is not as important as the knowledge of how to approach them at a personal level." (Swenson, Ashtanga Yoga, p. 129). Hough.

My opinion: the earlier one starts with the intermediate series the better. The second series is more balanced with all the backbendings.

In about 2 hours I have a second interview in a company. I don't like to go. I want to listen to music. It is rainy outside, I want to stay at home. I will go, yes, I will go.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

Mr Swenson opens a can of worms there. As long as you remember that if you go to Mysore to practice with Guruji or Sharath you might get stopped earlier...

Ursula said...

How often and how long am I in Mysore? When I'm there I can do what they want me to do.

Alone again I can do my own decisions. I'm very flexible.

Vanessa said...

I think you are right. And I'd add some Third Series too: it has a lot of strength moves that complete the first two series.

samasthiti said...

I have seen your practice! It's lovely, you should definitely start..It's hard without the guidance of a teacher. If you were at Casey's longer he'd have you start I'm sure of it!
Go for it Ursula!

Ursula said...

Thank you Susan.