Saturday, May 20, 2006

I practiced Ashtanga

Yes, it was a joy. I practiced Ashtanga in the morning before breakfast. I was so curious what has happened to my body. I wanted to know if I could still bind in Marychiasana, if I could do Uttanasana and so on.

At first I wanted to find an attitude. I intended not to exaggerate. I wanted to do it as easy as possible. I know that after a break injuries occur very fast. I had nothing to prove, neither to myself, nor to others.

I could do Surya Namaskara, but I stepped back, no jumping. But this was fine. I could do almost all the postures. I could not hold the head in the right direction. I had to hold my neck straight. For instance in Trikonasana I looked at my wall and not to my thumbs. I had the feeling that the asanas were good for my body and my neck, especially Adho Mukha Svanasana and Uttanasana. It was as if my head, ligaments, muscles found their right place again. Sarvangasana was almost impossible. I omitted of course Chakrasana, Sirsasana, Setu Bandhasana, Dhanurasana and the vinyasas.

It was again a start.

Back to asana practice I ask myself what is yoga? I'm so concentrated on asanas, but yoga is also pranayama, meditation. It is also to be friendly to others and to myself. To be happy or at least content is yoga as well.

Yesterday in the evening I took again a painkiller. Perhaps today it will be my first night without it. I hope so.

Thank you for all your encouraging Emails.

4 comments:

Sue said...

I'm sure a gentle practice will help speed up recovery. It certainly helped me with my knee injury about 2-3 months ago. It was nothing serious, but I think if I stopped Ashtanga completely it would've taken longer to get back to 100%.

Just be respectful of your body and its limits during this time.

My best wishes!

Ursula said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm sure you are right. I can/have to practice patience now, also not an easy task for me.

Sergio said...

I'm glad you're back on track, Ursula. It's wiser to take it slowly and don't push it to much. Be gentle on yourself and find the joy again. I'm sure it won't be too long until you're able to do everything as well as before.

Ursula said...

Thanks, Sergio. You are totally right. I suffered so much that I will really be carefully now. My next hours of practice are dedicated to have joy. I don't mind of progress, I'm happy that I can do my practice again.